Sender:
From:
Donald Lueders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 2015 10:39:05 -0400
Agreed, Chris.

Records management professionals need to understand that none of these big
tech companies - not Microsoft, not Google, not Apple, not anyone else -
have any real incentive to help their customers defensibly destroy
information that no longer has legitimate business value.  They may provide
some level of lip service to our requests for efficient information
lifecycle management functionality in their content and information
management products, but the reality is they take in much more revenue by
making it easier and easier for us to create content that is used once and
then sits in their repositories indefinitely.

This information becomes a cash cow for these companies not simply because
they are charging our customers to maintain it (which is always more
expensive then they imply), but because they are provided with an endless
source of information that they can crawl and create the indexes they use
to drive their search tools and content analytics solutions.

The vast majority of this information provides our customers with no real
value, and in fact, poses significant risk to their businesses.  As records
managers, it is up to us to look beyond the marketing messages these
companies promote and determine if their products are fully supporting our
customers' information management strategies.