Sender:
From:
Patricia Franks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 2015 20:26:23 +0200
Hi Tammy and all,

I've been reading the posts about attracting more students to ARMA. I'm
program coordinator for the Archives and Records Administration master's at
San Jose but work with MLIS students as well. My comments are for ARMA:

   - reinstate student membership fees
   - recognize many are part-time, work, but still should qualify for
   student rates
   - promote student chapters -- we have a strong SAA student chapter and a
   strong ASIS&T chapter--have won awards
   - do a better job promoting scholarships for students
   - promote research papers and posters for students at ARMA
   - consider a student rate for attendance at the ARMA Annual Conference
   - either publish one research journal for juried papers a year or
   publish one or more juried papers in each IMJ.

I think you'd have an easier job involving students, if more attention is
paid to their status (students who must publish in peer-reviewed journals),
provided a sense of community, and helped them with costs of membership and
annual conference.

We pay for membership for each student in one professional organization a
year--SAA and ASIS&T give us a very attractive student rate and we send a
check for membership to the one they select. ARMA used to be on the list
but would no longer provide the speicial rate--so students now join one of
the two remaining associations and begin to build their networks, which
means they'll likely continue to pay those membership fees on their own
after a year.

 My 2 Cents!

Pat

Patricia C. Franks, PhD, CA, CRM, IGP
MARA Program Coordinator
Associate Professor, School of Information
San Jose State University a very
San Jose, CA, USA
http://ischoolapps.sjsu.edu/facultypages/view.php?fac=franksp
https://ischool.sjsu.edu/programs/master-archives-records-administration-mara