Sender:
Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 2015 19:27:28 +0000
base64
From:
"Cusack, Maureen" <[log in to unmask]>
As a librarian and a Canadian from Ottawa this makes me sick. This problem is not new but has gotten worse and is evolving in a shocking direction since I left Canada in 2006. When I was at grad school in 2003, (Faculty of Information Studies, University of Toronto) the director of Canadian Association of Journalists (CAJ) spoke to our class. He explained how Canadian journalists, facing story deadlines, made their FOI requests to US governments whenever possible if the same information was available in Canada because US requests were successful whereas Canadian governments delayed, rejected and redacted journalist FOI requests at an alarming rate. Now it seems that it's not a just a veil of secrecy problem in Canada, but a national program of information destruction.

Maureen Cusack

San Francisco

Opinions expressed herein are my own and do not reflect any organization's views.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__bit.ly_1Lf0cG7&d=AwIFaQ&c=hNAZrKxPkhfPADjr9wUJ4AJ2gCqdYYgx1uIsXrLIsh-DuhNfnmQL7Uyhk3cxPIdo&r=DCh4cG3IS5BZiYhwdH_bQOgVyXcHdHcZfEklb0ylpF4&m=taXnjDIZAxzdGvtijNPPAOvFIGsnmqnFVbqJBDBjNmg&s=wAfADZd9bdMsSORu5R0IjCwAditBqXbVvYw9IdrTnNk&e=

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__bit.ly_1Lf0cG7-2B&d=AwIFaQ&c=hNAZrKxPkhfPADjr9wUJ4AJ2gCqdYYgx1uIsXrLIsh-DuhNfnmQL7Uyhk3cxPIdo&r=DCh4cG3IS5BZiYhwdH_bQOgVyXcHdHcZfEklb0ylpF4&m=taXnjDIZAxzdGvtijNPPAOvFIGsnmqnFVbqJBDBjNmg&s=m24E1GD1Xq8Vk7z3a62tuM5YT_7rAZDQyXaJ4pkz0p4&e=

--

Peterk

Dallas, Tx

Save our in-boxes! https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__emailcharter.org&d=AwIFaQ&c=hNAZrKxPkhfPADjr9wUJ4AJ2gCqdYYgx1uIsXrLIsh-DuhNfnmQL7Uyhk3cxPIdo&r=DCh4cG3IS5BZiYhwdH_bQOgVyXcHdHcZfEklb0ylpF4&m=taXnjDIZAxzdGvtijNPPAOvFIGsnmqnFVbqJBDBjNmg&s=FxnbEjns3khihfKlBP41q3479meHf-XBXaDeQMW05YU&e=

"The problems of our economy have occurred not as an outgrowth of

laissez-faire, unbridled competition.

They have occurred under the guidance of federal agencies, and under the

umbrella of federal regulations."

Senator Ted Kennedy, in defending trucking deregulation in 1978.

List archives at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__lists.ufl.edu_archives_recmgmt-2Dl.html&d=AwIFaQ&c=hNAZrKxPkhfPADjr9wUJ4AJ2gCqdYYgx1uIsXrLIsh-DuhNfnmQL7Uyhk3cxPIdo&r=DCh4cG3IS5BZiYhwdH_bQOgVyXcHdHcZfEklb0ylpF4&m=taXnjDIZAxzdGvtijNPPAOvFIGsnmqnFVbqJBDBjNmg&s=rHCt0X5xUhXwym1PHqX2_YG9IDNmd8dtYMUuQlDMWYI&e=

Contact [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> for assistance