Date:
Fri, 2 Oct 2015 13:54:33 +0000
From:
Brett Wise <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Hi Heidi, I would echo what most everyone else has said.  I consider on-site shredding best practice (if space or noise considerations do not prevent this option).  Witnessed shredding is great, but if you have multiple shred units, that can take a while - I have known most organizations to use "due diligence" on this issue (some industries may require 100% witnessed destruction).  Another concern is whether to allow the Shred driver to go unescorted to get the shred units - this is as much a security issue as it is a RIM issue.

The locked bins are definitely "best practice", but I have seen this practice circumvented in many, many organizations - especially with the 65-gallon and 95-gallon units (also the proliferation of keys to the units or combinations).  If you do have to unlock a bin, I try to ensure that a RIM staff member supervises the "dumping" of materials if possible (or, at the very least, do not unlock a bin for unsupervised use if there is already material in the bin).  Also, on a side note, be careful about using vendor locks that have combinations - I have seen identical combination numbers used across many different organizations in a geographical area by the same vendor (i.e., if you have the combination, you could theoretically go to the vendor's other nearby customers and unlock their bins).

Finally, I absolutely would stress that using a NAID- Certified vendor (not just a NAID member) is best practice!  Not to generalize at all, but I have seen instances where vendors will list being a NAID member in such wording as to "fool" the customer into thinking they are certified.

Best of luck - it sounds like you have received some great advice.

- Brett

Brett Wise CRM, IGP, CIP | American Board of Pediatrics
Director of Records & Information Management
111 Silver Cedar Court
Chapel Hill, NC 27514