Sender:
From:
Sharon Byrch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 2016 13:57:36 -0500
Thank you very much, Bill. That was a great response and your wisdom
shines through.

We use color-coded end tab filing, but not terminal digits - I'll look at that.
I set up a spreadsheet but was lacking a unique identifier (except
SharePoint DocID of course, which I do not want to file by!)

Much appreciated.
Sharon

On Fri, 29 Jan 2016 17:48:14 +0000, Roach, Bill
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>>Both. I've got hardcopy and electronic records.<<

>I would suggest a simple sequential numbering system where a unique
number is associated with each contract.  Think 10,001, 10,002...

>To ease your paper filing burden, use color-coded end tab folders with
terminal digit filing.  Doing so will help you quickly identify misfiles and
virtually eliminate the continual shifting of files required when files are
stored in numeric order.

>Keep track of the data associated with each assignment in a spreadsheet
or small DB stored in your SharePoint site.  Organize your SharePoint
content using the unique number as the primary identifier for the file, with
additional metadata included for three key areas:

>What is it:  Document type (no more than 6-10), Document
title/description,
>What does it relate to:  Contract number, Vendor, Contract Purpose
(think software, staff, or office furniture)
>Date:  The date the material was created (internal) or received (external)

>Train the users and enforce the training.  If you want to get a bit fancier,
you can link the upload process to your DB auto-populate the metadata for
uploaded docs.

>In closing, remember that just because you can, doesn't mean you
should.  There are lots of fancy things that can be done and your developer
or users may ask for a variety of special or exception processes.  While
many may seem like a good idea at the time, every customization adds at
least one more point of failure and additional complexity to maintenance.
Over the years I have come to believe that keeping things as simple as
possible is likely the best long term approach, best for you, users, and
those that will request information into the future.

>My goal is always to make storage and access as simple as adding or
locating content to your local public library.

>Good Luck, Bill

>Bill Roach, CRM

>Opinions are my own and not those of my employer or any other
individual or entity.

>This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the
intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete this
email from your system.

>To unsubscribe from this list, click the below link. If not already present,
place UNSUBSCRIBE RECMGMT-L or UNSUB RECMGMT-L in the body of the
message.