Date:
Thu, 21 Apr 2016 21:49:59 +0000
From:
Records Management Email <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Aloha Blake,

Nothing wrong with your analogy...It is, what it is...Putting lipstick doesn't blur the matter that many of us have been in the Records Management Profession for years.  What's covered by IG is "nothing new" and we deal with it on a daily basis within our organizations.  Our jobs have evolved from being the "stereotyped" basement dwellers and we've made a profound impact on how organizations have dealt with the sociological and technological changes that occurred over time.

As our generation of records managers slowly rides into the sunset, I've often wondered if the NEWGEN that seems to be the latest "tagline" will be able to handle the spectrum of Information Governance without FIRST learning the basics of Records and Information Management.  Like many, I believe one "breeds" from the other and that Records & Information management is the "starting point" from where you can truly govern information.  Bottom-line you have to understand "why" you need the information before you can begin managing its future...

The lipstick helps, but it doesn't get away from the fact that we still management records and information for the companies and entities we serve.  Mudding the water doesn't change the looks of things...Just makes dirtier.

Mahalo,

Brian

Brian A. Moriki
AVP & Manager - OSD Records Management
First Hawaiian Bank

***THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED ARE STRICTLY "MY OWN" AND IS NOT ENDORSED OR APPROVED BY MY EMPLOYERS OR ANY ENTITY THAT I PARTICIPATE OR REPRESENT.***