Sender:
Date:
Tue, 10 May 2016 10:55:16 -0400
From:
Gary Link <[log in to unmask]>
<<
My concerns are around Information Governance.  In this article posted by
Gary, and the only one I have read on the technology, the writer
illustrates how information is duplicated and distributed across the
entire permitted environment.  Haven't we seen this before?

Think about paper in organizations that had no centralized Records policy.
 Everyone made copies of anything they deemed important.  This was because
they didn't trust the system.  Nor should they.  If I had a document and
thought I might need it again I would make a copy before I sent the
original on to the next stage in the process.

David,

I'm not sure, because I have an imperfect understanding to say the least,
but I don't think the actual data is what resides everywhere, (although
the article does say that). I think what resided everywhere are hashes,
which are kind of validation/date stamps. See this article:

"Since storage in blockchains is permanent, and storing large amounts of
data on a blockchain is not economical, the practical way to store data on
a blockchain is to store a fixed (and normally smaller) size
representation of the data called the ?hash of the data.? One use for a
blockchain is as a timestamping service. Suppose there is a picture that
you wanted to prove currently exists, and is not fabricated in the future.
You could store the picture in the blockchain now, and a year later, if a
judge asks if the picture was really taken a year ago, you could show it
on the blockchain. But, since you know about hashes, you hash the picture
and store the hash on the blockchain instead. When the judge asks for
proof, you provide the picture, then the judge can hash the picture and
compare it against the hash that you stored on the blockchain."

"Secure cryptographic hash functions are one-way, fast to compute, and
collision resistant. Combined with the property that they process any type
of input to produce an output of fixed-size, called a hash, hashes are
very useful as an identifier for any data. Hashes of length 256 bits
represent an astronomical number of combinations, that they are more than
enough to be a globally unique identifier for the Internet of Things, even
at the scale of nanotechnology and beyond. And these hashes can be written
as 64 characters (hexadecimal), which make them practical enough to use as
identifiers. In blockchains, hashes are used as identifiers for blocks,
transactions, and addresses."

[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">https:[log in to unmask]

Gary

The contents of this email are the property of PNC. If it was not addressed to you, you have no legal right to read it. If you think you received it in error, please notify the sender. Do not forward or copy without permission of the sender. This message may be considered a commercial electronic message under Canadian law or this message may contain an advertisement of a product or service and thus may constitute a commercial electronic mail message under US law. You may unsubscribe at any time from receiving commercial electronic messages from PNC at http://pages.e.pnc.com/globalunsub/
PNC, 249 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15222; pnc.com