Sender:
Date:
Fri, 13 May 2016 12:46:36 -0400
Subject:
From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
http://amerigeddonthemovie.com <http://amerigeddonthemovie.com/>

> So what has Congress done about this threat?   Next to nothing, and this has many of the experts quite upset.
> One of them is former CIA analyst Peter Vincent Pry.  He now serves as the executive director of the EMP Task Force on National and Homeland Security <http://www.emptaskforcenhs.com/>, and he recently had the following to say about the threat that we are potentially facing <http://www.emptaskforcenhs.com/uncategorized/lesson-from-the-city-of-lights-keep-the-lights-on/>…

> Mr Pry stated:  “Ours is an electronic civilization.  Electricity runs everything, including the economy.  Electricity sustains the lives of 320 million Americans.   Terrorists could inflict “The greatest injury on the greatest number” by attacking the national electric grid and blacking-out all the life sustaining critical infrastructures.  A nationwide blackout would, in effect, turn the “off switch” for the United States.
> No less than two congressional commissions, the EMP Commission (2008) and the Strategic Posture Commission (2009) and numerous independent studies, including the recent books Lights Out and Blackout Wars, warn that an attack on the grid is an existential threat. A terror blackout could have such catastrophic consequences as to challenge the continued existence of our civilization.

Well everything in the Cloud would be gone and our banking system would be fried.  But I think that recovery would be much faster than these doom and gloom guys say.  We have many, many Faraday Cage vaults out there protecting server rooms and we dominate in back up tape protection.

We see more and more inquiries asking about our shielding so there are certain elements of society that are paying attention to this.  Like the Black Swan in the computer environment, the event is the most unlikely

> scientists assure us that it is inevitable that a massive electromagnetic blast from the sun will produce a similar result someday anyway.  In fact, back in 1859 a giant solar storm that came to be known as “the Carrington Event” <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859> fried telegraph machines all across North America and Europe.  If a similar event happened today, life as we know it would be brought to an abrupt halt, and chaos would ensue from coast to coast.

Wiki Site info:

The Solar Storm of 1859 — known as the Carrington Event[1] — was a powerful geomagnetic solar storm during solar cycle 10(1855-1867). A solar coronal mass ejection hit Earth's magnetosphere and induced one of the largest geomagnetic storms on record. The associated "white light flare" in the solar photosphere was observed and recorded by English astronomers Richard C. Carrington(1826–1875) and Richard Hodgson (1804–1872).

Studies have shown that a solar storm of this magnitude occurring today would likely cause more widespread problems for a modern and technology-dependent society.[2][3] The solar storm of 2012 was of similar magnitude, but it passed Earth's orbit without striking the planet.[4]

Yesterday I was at the Walt Whitman Birthplace Museum in Long Island and the George Washington Bridge had a two hour back up to cross from 495 to the Jersey site. I thought I was in a EMP effect then.  How can people live in a place where 5 miles takes two hours.  An Amish carriage could do that trip in 30 minutes.  During 911 it took hours and hours to leave Manhattan.  So I don’t think an EMP would have to do much to totally shut down major cities.

Out here in the country, our generators would kick on and life would go on.

But it would seem prudent for computer manufacturers to consider this risk just as they should be finding a way to shut down malware like Ransomware.  Shielding a core in a computer is not that difficult.

To show you how much effect the Cloud has on records, there are many of the large shelving companies shutting down, the big racking manufacturers have to shift there focus to non-records storage, the largest manufacturer of vault doors and insulated file cabinets closed up shop and I could go on.  Shredding is one of the fastest growing businesses in the country and it coincides with the growth of the Cloud.

And no one in the world is looking at this effect.  The biggest failure of the records management industry is the failure to alert the world that converting any and all records into the Cloud is destabilizing the records business.  Offsite records storage is collapsing in on itself like a Black Hole.

Where is the risk assessment about this total transformation from a stable paper based storage to one dominated by Cloud.  Just as Amazon is crushing the retail stores (look at Sears, Kohl’s Target, Kmart and even Walmart) they are also taking over the Cloud.

Is that a good thing?  Is Amazon doing anything to protect their massive storage environment?  You know the answer.

FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM