Sender:
Date:
Sun, 15 May 2016 21:12:28 -0500
Comments:
To: RAINbyte <[log in to unmask]>, RECMGMT-UK <[log in to unmask]>
VICTORIA — B.C.’s finance minister promised major reforms to the province’s
Freedom of Information system Monday, with more documents proactively
released, less interference from political staff and better help for the
public in accessing important records.

Mike de Jong also foreshadowed legislation to force government officials to
better document their decisions, and left open the possibility of
eliminating FOI fees altogether as part of changes he said will increase
public confidence in government’s record keeping.

http://bit.ly/24TRWBq
http://bit.ly/24TRWBq+

Finance Minister Mike de Jong has issued a rare order under B.C.’s Freedom
of Information law to ensure that travel receipts and daily calendars for
cabinet ministers and their senior officials are automatically made public.

The change was part of a series of directives issued by Mr. de Jong to
respond to criticism that his government has deliberately thwarted the
release of information to the public through the practice of
triple-deleting e-mails within government and relying on oral reports to
avoid the creation of documents that could be accessed.

http://bit.ly/1Ou5xv7
http://bit.ly/1Ou5xv7+

--
Peterk