Date:
Tue, 17 May 2016 08:59:51 -0700
Sender:
The primary example that comes to mind is purchase of high value, or sophisticated, "engineered equipment".  Things build to design specifications that may have long term (15 year or longer) warranties.

In these cases, you have specs and drawings that have a retention period, which may accompany bid and procurement, along with shipping and receiving documentation, that all have their (typically) shorter retention periods.  And the equipment may have warranty documents that arrive with it, or independent of it.

It's not common that all of these documents get 'married' together and are retained as a set for the longest required retention period... The end of the warranty, or possibly, the resale of the equipment before it reaches end of useful life.

The shortest retention is generally shipping and receiving papers, followed by procurement documents, then specs and drawings.

And yes, I'm speaking "real world" examples here... Like utilities who design and deploy compressor stations and ancillary equipment, pipelines, etc.  not naming any names, but I think one that's STILL in the news may come to mind.

Larry Medina

Sent from MY iPhoneSeĆ­s