Date:
Fri, 27 May 2016 14:45:40 +0000
From:
Brett Wise <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Must Reads for Records Managers (NOTE:  There are SO many great books and similar resources out there for our profession (about RIM, technology, or other aspects of business).  I wish I had more time to read more than I do, but what a great resource they are!!!)

For periodicals: Of course I read the Information Management (Journal) by ARMA - although I wish there would be a little more variety in the authors that they use, the ones who submit do a great job, but I see a lot of the same names over and over again.  I personally enjoy the Harvard Business Review when I have a chance as it gives me a chance to see the "business world" from a larger Corporate perspective.  Plus many others out there, including social media.

For Legal RIM professionals:  The Big Blue Book (aka Records Management in the Legal Environment) - The "Bible" of Legal RIM; a little dated now in parts, but still very relevant and there are supplements.  By far the best literary resource when I was in the Law Firm biz.

For CRM candidates: "Micrographics: Technology for the 21st Century" (If you haven't worked closely with mircrofilm/fiche, you'll need this book to pass the Technology part - at least as of a few years ago. -- Word of Caution: It isn't necessarily a page turner.)

For those interested in IG:  Dr. Smallwood and contributing authors' book on IG (an excellent foundational book).

For those interested in RIM history and research: "The Myth of the Paperless Office" (It is eerie how relevant and true much of the authors findings are 15 years later; if the authors are reading this - we need a follow up!)

And, OF COURSE, this listserve!!!

Have a great Memorial Day Weekend everyone,

Brett Wise CRM, IGP, CIP | American Board of Pediatrics
Director of Records & Information Management
111 Silver Cedar Court
Chapel Hill, NC 27514