Sender:
From:
Patricia Franks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2016 11:56:24 -0400
My main question would be "what authority" could a records manager have
over the Secretary of State if she wanted to do things differently?  And
then, how can enforcement of the rules be imposed before something like
this happens again?

Not coming down on any side--just saying, *authority & responsibility* have
to go hand in hand.  A records manager may not have the clout to require
someone in that position (Secretary of State) to adhere to the rules.  If
not, what chain of command would be followed by the records manager to get
someone with enough clout to enforce the rules early on?  Is it reported to
NARA and then up the chain of command until the CRO or Archivist must
become involved?

Obviously no one wants that scenario either (reporting that someone in that
position was not following the rules), so how could the system be changed
to require all federal employees, regardless of rank, to use government
provided technology that automatically archives all messages from day one?

Pat

Patricia C. Franks, PhD, CA, CRM, IGP
MARA Program Coordinator
Professor, School of Information