Date:
Wed, 6 Jul 2016 12:33:26 +0000
From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Brett:
I have used the same procedure in several organizations over the years and have even taught it as part of a RIM best practices course once upon a time.  It's a combination of some of Fred's approach and some of Mary's.

15 days before scheduled destruction/deletion, we send the "owners" of the records ( and their division manager) a notice that destruction/deletion will take place on XXXX date and we need them to notify us of any logical reason to hold destruction/deletion of any of the records.  The records eligible for their section are listed as part of the notice so they know which ones we are talking about.   We also include the item number from our retention schedule so they can review the retention period.  Our records liaisons help greatly with this part of the review, since they are trained in how to work with the schedule.  We also let folks know that we will proceed with the destruction/deletion if we do not hear from them within the 15 days.  We ask the Division Manager and the division records liaison to sign off on the notice indicating that they have reviewed it.  We do not ask for approval.  Approval to apply retention was granted when the retention schedule was reviewed by all departments.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager
Information Technology Division