Sender:
Date:
Thu, 7 Jul 2016 22:22:05 -0500
Comments:
To: RAINbyte <[log in to unmask]>, AIN <[log in to unmask]>, Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) turns 50 years old on July 4, 2016.
The landmark bill, signed into law by a reluctant Lyndon B. Johnson in
1966, gave the public unprecedented access to government documents. Like
many great American contributions to democracy, it was the project of a
lone crusader, opposed by the leading politicians of the day until it
finally became law, then fully embraced on paper but never more than
half-realized in reality.

And the Swedes beat us to the idea by 200 years.

Nevertheless, the FOIA and its state-level progeny have been used by
journalists to uncover everything from how many cans of vanilla Ensure the
government bought to force-feed detainees at Guantanamo Bay to who’s having
the loudest sex in New York City. Read any big news investigation and
you’re likely to come across the phrase “according to records obtained
through the Freedom of Information Act.”

http://bit.ly/29paItz

http://bit.ly/29paItz+

--
Peterk