Sender:
Date:
Wed, 13 Jul 2016 11:54:40 -0400
Subject:
From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Want to know how to take control back of your content?
 <http://www.itworldcanada.com/messagent.php?ID=jHQjPM%2Bj02e1ojhyzYbl9BYurOl2EwY4XzTuqG6_Kidr6HuzbQZQPI_u_vaY%2B4iJVvQW9mLHce8eGv2E5jFSsMZvJA5X_>The open web allows users to freely publish and access content that is instantly viewable by millions world-wide. But what happens when powerful corporations like Google, Facebook and Apple control users' access to content, and collect their private data while they're at it? Join the creator of Drupal, Dries Buytaert, in a discussion about the web's evolution, how we can put the power of the internet back into the hands of the people, and how you can prepare your organization. Click here <http://www.itworldcanada.com/messagent.php?ID=jHQjPM%2Bj02e1ojhyzYbl9BYurOl2EwY4XzTuqG6_Kidr6HuzbQZQPI_u_vaY%2B4iJVvQW9mLHce8eGv2E5jFSsMZvJA5X_> to register and view.

Ah Hah!  So the IT guys are finally starting to talk about this.  Or I just work up to it.

… “ but what happens when powerful corporations like Google, Facebook and Apple control users’ access to content, and collect their private data while they’re at it?"

How can one govern information assets when someone else has it and takes control of it after a set period of time.  And even has your permission to Data Mine this data.

Wikipedia says this about Drupal:
> The standard release of Drupal, known as Drupal core, contains basic features common to content-management systems <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_management_system>. These include user account registration and maintenance, menu management, RSS <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS> feeds, taxonomy, page layout customization, and system administration. The Drupal core installation can serve as a simple Web site, a single- or multi-user blog, an Internet forum <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_forum>, or a community Web site providing for user-generated content <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User-generated_content>.

In the old days the records managers kept information assets secure and under control. In the world of Cloud this is questionable at best.
I read where there are now over 19,000 different versions of Ransomware attacking end users.  How is IT assuring management that they are protected?  Do you believe them?

Is there anything you can do about it?  Some are demanding that back-up tapes be reinstated for business continuity as a back up to the Cloud based systems that are open to Ransomware.  Back up tapes can restore the system even after Ransomware has shut it down.  Shouldn’t the records manager own the back up tapes in this new world as that is the only way to truly govern the information assets.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM