Sender:
Date:
Mon, 18 Jul 2016 12:53:29 -0400
Subject:
From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
It would seem that this would be an extreme records management issue. While this one user and his art is of little concern, the broader issue is one that records managers should care about.

If Google doesn’t have to play by any rules other than their own or even provide a customer service department to respond to clients concerns about their lost gmail accounts, blog history and web site information; then they would seem to be  bad partner for many.

They changes the rules on their search engine so that it can rightly be determined to be not a truthfully intelligent search engine.  Searchers cannot find you like they previously could. If you previously were the best right handed red pipe wrench, then you showed up on the first page.  Now the tool maker who pays Google the most money will place his blue screw drivers ahead of you in the Listing.  It is effectively deceiving the market place.

If they can take down any web site they wish, a denial of free speech or fair speech, without any right to contest it, then that is wrong.  They have the power to put people out of business.  They choose the winners and losers.

But if a google user has an expectation that their web site or blog is being archived, it would seem there would be some requirement to alert the client so they know in advance their information assets are about to disappear.

Could this be true of Google Cloud Services as well.  A question that would be worth talking about is “What if Google does not exist tomorrow?”  How will that affect your organization?  Does it impact Information Governance?  Records Management.

Many service organizations provide YouTune videos on “How to” and service information on a corporate web site.  Years of work go into this.  What if it is gone tomorrow?

Business Insider shows an analysis of New Sources and for the most part, they all carry a particular political agenda.  What if in this particular polarized time, a Cloud service provider decides to drop your data as Google did to this guy.  And their reasons are not even known?

Who would be responsible in the Judge’s point of view if they dropped your Cloud storage?  Obviously, the organization but they would have some culpability.  Is this a discussion that RM should have with legal?

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM <http://www.firelock.com/>