Sender:
From:
Renee O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jul 2016 09:11:16 -0400
Hi All - I'm Renee O'Neal and this is my very first post.   I am
requesting some input from your experiences regarding email
retention / disposition.    Trying to persuade IT and Legal the benefits
of not keeping years and years and YEARS of emails, but running into
massive resistance.  IT has kept decades of backups and Legal keeps
stating we have to follow the retention schedule as these are
documents.    I keep trying to say the email is a transistory delivery
system and not a document.  Unfortunately, we have been allowed to
use folders in Outlook for storage and it sort of has become a
repository.   I need help in - or correction on - my thinking and in my
quest to reduce the amount of emails kept.    I have polled a few
companies in my local ARMA chapter and have received positive
feedback on practices ranging from 3-5 years of email is being kept at
the employee box level, no long term archiving and a few exceptions
that are allowed longer "keeps" (execs, legal, tax..).   Normal?   If so,
how do I bridge the Legal arguement of keeping emails by the retention
schedule (not even sure I could) - some of these could be 100+
years?     Thanks for your input and feedback - remember, newbie
here......kindness is appreciated LOL