Date:
Fri, 29 Jul 2016 15:24:44 +0000
From:
"Richardson, Maria" <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
I was not impacted personally, but I know that Superstorm Sandy caused a lot of damage to those offices in downtown NYC where the Records Centers were located in the basement, aka concourse level of the building.  It took some firms nearly 2 years to recover from that event.  I bring this up because during 9/11, just the opposite happened in regards to Records Management, it was disaster due to fire, then water and records were totally destroyed.

There was also the great Recall fire of 2015 in Brooklyn, NY where the storage facility burned down to the ground during 4 degree weather.  The fire burned for nearly 3 days and the water was freezing before it would make it to the fire itself.

All these disasters made me really focus on what to do if there is a disaster.  Working at a firm that has 38 offices in 41 countries, I am always on edge when I hear about terrorist attacks in cities where we have a major presence in.  Having some kind of protocol in place is key to make sure the staff and the records are safe.  It's the kind of world we live in and need to begin to think out of the box when it comes to Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity.