Date:
Mon, 15 Aug 2016 10:35:36 -0400
From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
I am studying the Nevada Construction Business and Law Manual as I must take and pass a test prior to installing one of our vaults in Nevada.

The book I must study and use to pass the Law test is over 250 pages.  I thought, after spending years here on the records management site I would be all set when they covered records management.  Unfortunately page 31 has a half page devoted to it and then another half page on page 33.  That is all!!!  One page worth of information about all of records management for a complicated field like Construction.  (With contracts, Liens, notary and so many issues and they only see records management as a one page topic??)

And it must be up to date because it says you can just keep records in electronic format.  Although it provides little insight on how that is done for the long term.

I thought it might be interesting for records managers to perform some research to see how the world views records management.  It seems to be a very confused image from how records management was viewed 25 years ago.

An apt description is:  25 years ago a view of records management would be like viewing it through a magnifying glass.  The hard you look the clearer the image.

But today the view is similar to looking at an object through a PRISM.  The image is refracted into different colors and impressions.  One color would show hard copy, another color would see records management as knowledge management, and another view would be as information governance, and yet another would view ownership of the electronic records.  Imagine going for a job interview?  What would you expect the person interviewing you to desire as your skill sets?  I bet it depends on who the company is that is hiring.

Twenty-five years ago, the RM could go into the interview knowing what they expected your skill sets to be.

I wonder, how has the CRM exam changed over the last decade?

I know that the client base for my vaults has totally changed in the last five years. I know that the Cloud has changed the world on records.  The concept of keep everything;  forever!  Is one that is spreading.  No record is viewed as more important than another until litigation occurs.  Then everything changes.  But by then it is too late.

When Sarbanes Oxley came about, the Courts started defining records management and when they valued electronic records more than hard copy records, that changed everything.   And like Pandora, records management will never go back to what it was before ESI, spoliation, Rule 26 and other court rulings about electronic records.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM