Sender:
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2016 17:56:47 -0700
From:
I think that what distinguished records management from archives
management was the invention of the retention schedule -- for most,
records management is management of records with a distinct shelf-life.

James Gregory Brasher's great paper on the subject, "An Administrative
History of the Disposal of Federal Records, 1789-1949"
(http://digitalcommons.kennesaw.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1307&context=provenance)
goes into the development of the retention schedule concept in the
United States.

According to Mr. Brasher, as printing technology became inexpensive to
justify printing documents without permanent value, the government
started to have significant storage issues resulting from keeping
"worthless papers" beyond their useful life. This lead to the first
rules authorizing the destruction of records in the early 1880s.

Jonah Cummings
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jonahc