Sender:
From:
Brett Wise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Sep 2016 21:06:54 +0000
Hi everyone, a quick question for anyone who has oversight of or is involved in this process.  We are developing a process for destroying hard drives.  We have a NAID-certified company that is going to come and destroy the hard drives on site (witnessed).  My question if anyone has a similar process and/or experience - should the hard drives be reformatted/overwritten prior to the onsite destruction process?  If we were sending them offsite, we certainly would do this, but I wasn't sure if there was a best practice if the hard drive destruction was witness and verified.  Also, if you do overwrite the hard drive, how many times do you do it (it seems NIST recommends only once and quite a few are in agreement with that amount for modern hard drives)?

Thanks everyone for any input you may have!

-          Brett

Brett Wise CRM, CIPP/US, IGP, CIP | American Board of Pediatrics
Director of Records & Information Management
111 Silver Cedar Court
Chapel Hill, NC 27514