Sender:
From:
Tod Chernikoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Oct 2016 11:03:39 -0400
Good Day All:

Conducting some research for a federal client I am working with and have
been pouring over schedule information available on the NARA website but
have not found, and it may not exist, any examples of retention of
materials, particularly ESI that is uncovered in (e)Discovery.

My guess is that it is treated as part of the corpus that is a litigation
file in schedules I am seeing.  If someone knows of an example otherwise,
please point it out to me.

Many agencies divide these up into two categories, those which are
"significant" and they find their way to the National Archives, while the
"others" are temporary and have a variety of retention periods from say two
years on the low side and 30 on the high side.

An associated question.  For records that are subject to a hold, and here
the client's litigation hold policy is clear in that thou shall not dispose
of anything on hold, would anyone please give me justification as to why
someone would want to create a records series for held records that says to
retain then until the hold is released and destroy if the retention period
is expired or keep until you are supposed to disposition them according to
their schedule says.

Thanks

Tod Chernikoff, CRM, IGP, CIP

Silver Spring MD

 <http://www.twitter.com/tchernik> www.twitter.com/tchernik

>>> These comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my
family, friends, employer or any other organization I am associated with.
<<<