Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 2016 13:23:22 -0700
Sender:
Well Steve... I agree, it DOES.

From my experience, a "Policy" should be very high level and not include substantial details.  It should be a "Thou Shalt" document, with a minimal level of citations to guidance that explains why it's required and who mandates it. It should also state the benefits of compliance, and the risks of failing to... and it should identify who is required to comply with it.

The policy should introduce high level "Roles and Responsibilities", which will be expanded in supporting documents.

Beneath this, there should be supporting documents... at minimum, a "Program Description" and a "Procedure".  And depending on the SCOPE of your program, these should include links to, or guidance for, any/all elements of the organization that have support roles and unique compliance requirements or processes.

The "Description" document should include a glossary of terms introduced in all of these documents, and these should be VERY CLEARLY defined, citing any external sources, where used.

An example of WHY this is important is the earlier discussion of concepts and requirements related to:

-Records
-Backups
-Archived Information
-Content
-Information Assets

and other terms and practices that will be described/defined.

Senior Management should approve/sign off on these as ORGANIZATIONAL requirements that ALL ASPECTS of the organization must follow.  If there is a need for other aspects of the organization to write specific procedures, any/all of those should point to these overarching Policy documents as the authority for what must be done, then provide specific steps on how they achieve compliance and any unique requirements they must meet (privacy, finance, medical, HR, IT, security, etc)

Documents of this type should be numbered and include a revision log, stating what changed and when.  They should carry an 'issued' date and a scheduled review/revision date... and even if no changes are required, they should indicate they were reviewed and reissued unchanged, with new dates.

Larry

Sent from MY iPhoneSeĆ­s