Sender:
From:
"Kinney, Anita" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Dec 2016 01:49:58 +0000
Had hoped to see some discussion of this article on this list. Seems incredibly hyperbolic to me: are we supposed to think that some dude from the Internet Archive and a bunch of volunteer librarians are better suited to identify government records than we are? Could not believe that no one from NARA was interviewed, nor anyone from the federal government, and that the Federal Records Act is not mentioned. Seems to me that the 2008 NARA guidance cited clearly demonstrates a deferral to agency records officers to determine when and whether a website qualifies as record content...hard to imagine that every example listed is not adequately captured elsewhere by relevant records schedules. I suppose a case could be made that having to FOIA information in some cases might impede access to information, but, the ease of use and indexing capabilities of the Internet Archive are not explored here. Driving me crazy seeing my librarian colleagues posting this thinking they're somehow "saving" government  information when...er, that's my full time job.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/12/01/nyregion/harvesting-government-history-one-web-page-at-a-time.html

Anita Kinney
Program Analyst
U.S. Access Board