Sender:
From:
Christopher Ferry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 2016 16:34:32 -0500
Mary,

You are definitely correct that the tension between professional ethics and
organizational loyalty is not limited to government. I was thinking that
the particulars of the DOJ job seemed to be likely to lead to this conflict.

In a lot of cases the question is not always clearly legal vs. illegal.
Unethical can be legal. Rules and laws can be bent without breaking. Many
people feel that they can do more good inside an organization that is
walking a fine legal or ethical line than they can from outside the system.

In all of these cases, documentation after-the-fact can be more difficult
than documentation-in-the-moment. But insisting on recording meetings or
requiring that directives be provided in writing instead of verbally can
give an impression of paranoia and/or untrustworthiness.

I have my own reasons for not applying for this job (mainly not moving my
kid to DC), but I feel like this might be an ethically (and professionally)
challenging job because of the likely conflict inside that office after
January 20th.

-Christopher Ferry, CRM