Sender:
From:
"bruce.norman.smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jan 2017 08:57:45 -0800
Great comments Molly.  I agree there's nothing more disheartening than a
committee without passion that only meets to talk and doesn't direct action
at the tactical level.

As with most organizational problems I also believe it requires a
two-pronged top-down and bottom-up approach.  One of the key bottom-up
stakeholders are the resources responsible for the day-to-day operation of
the storage systems.  These days it's often a senior IT Pro who's
responsible for servers and applications during a busy day, and needs to
keep both the IT Ops manager and a key Business manager interested in a
particular system happy.  The RM Steering Committee also needs a captain to
keep all the majors and crews working in unison.

Thanks for getting this interesting discussion started Frank.  I do like
your point about the importance of gathering the appropriate senior
management resources together to make sure RM isn't a disorganized skirmish
between corporate fiefdoms.

Bruce