Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 2017 14:19:37 +0000
From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Emily:
You can point out that work station hard drives (i.e. personal, if used) are not backed up as part of the nightly (weekly, monthly, etc.) routine and that records stored there, as property of the company, must be backed up regularly.  This helped us a great deal with getting Department records off the C drives.

It doesn't seem from your email address that you might be subject to FOIA requests.  We had to point out that putting Department records on C drives and Personal drives on the network (ours are designated H drives) created huge bottlenecks in responding to FOIA requests within the required time (by law 5 days), especially if someone was out on medical leave or vacation.  Once they started moving actual records over to the appropriate network drives, we had a little more control over what is kept on the network (not much control, but some) and in applying retention easier.

No matter what is put in place that relies on the honor system to follow the rules, the rules tend to be forgotten after a while and chaos is resumed.  Our Network Administrator periodically pushes back by describing how much space is being used and what it is costing us.  This has some effect also.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager
Information Technology Division