Date:
Thu, 4 May 2017 14:53:45 +0000
From:
Chris Halonen <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Another Canadian example, contrasting with Erin's example of Alberta: regulations under Ontario's Freedom of Information & Protection of Privacy Act require organizations subject to the Act (including universities) to maintain a disposal record for records containing personal information, with no explicit retention period for the disposal record. Therefore, some Ontario universities treat destruction records in general as permanent. However, the Ontario Government's model retention schedule for common administrative records lists a 20-year retention period for such records, so that's what I'm using in my draft retention schedule.

Chris Halonen
University Records Manager
Secretariat
University of Waterloo