Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2017 15:52:46 +0000
From:
Joshua Hargrafen <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Earl,

We have made the determination that IM conversations are not records and have turned off journaling for the IM piece of Skype. We have communicated that it is company policy that business not be conducted over IM and it is to be used as an informal communications tool.

In regards to recording meetings, we manage those in the same way that we manage meeting minutes on the RRS and the record owner is the line of business that recorded the meeting.

In regards to recording external parties, you will want to get a determination from your Legal department for their opinion on the subject.  I have been at organizations where you could not record external individuals, some that allowed with written consent, and others that were OK as long as they were given an indication during the meeting that it would be recorded (the affirmation on the recording is the record).

Josh Hargrafen IGP, CIP
Senior Program Manager, Information Security and Governance
500 ACT Drive
Iowa City, IA, 52243
319.337.1282