Sender:
From:
Maarja Krusten 2 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2018 10:37:49 -0500
To the list of records life cycle stakeholders I mentioned in my survey
query, please add information disclosure officials, if your workplace
employs officials who handle freedom of information or open records
requests.  And please note the Barry survey was open from December 2004 to
January 2005. Typo in original message (not enough coffee):
https://lists.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1801C&L=RECMGMT-L&D=1&T=0&O=D&X=55A1EE6C8AA9432B81

I don't expect many employers at individual records creating organizations
inside or outside government have focused on these issues from the
particular angle I'm studying.  People in mission and misison support units
are busy dealing with tremendous day to day challenges.  The incentives for
the Powers That Be to ask for a holistic look at records and knowledge
issues aren't always there.  And so forth.

It's the sort of analysis that is more likely to be done retrospectively in
the future in particular knowledge-dependent organizations, as knowledge
gaps in present records become visible and have an impact down the road.
(Knowledge gaps will have more of an impact in some workplaces, less in
others.)  But since some of the issues were developing over a decade ago,
worth putting out a call.

I was reminded of this in reading the 1999 overview by NASA historian Roger
Launius to which I linked yesterday.  He wrote at the end of the age when
most research still was done with paper records managed and accessed
traditionally and the chilling effect less recognized than now.

I'm presently working on the proofs of a history book I wrote which is
about to be published. I had a break at the start of my schedule this
morning.  I'm facing a time deadline on the proofs so I won't have much
time to check the List or this email account frequently in coming days.
But I'll look in later, as I have time.  Thanks for reading and for
considering my queries!

Maarja
Washington, DC
Twitter:  @ArchivesMaarja
Blog:  Archival Explorations
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__archivalexplorations.wordpress.com_&d=DwIBaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=hGweHo33L2mus_6-JCPwZwriP-dZSDq8GN7Pmo3XSHI&s=_ip7C28XDy-iYW1jKoh-lsVozRy1wXkzrAa6Zut170Q&e=