Sender:
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2018 08:12:17 -0600
Comments:
To: RAINbyte <[log in to unmask]>, AIN <[log in to unmask]>, Archivists&Archives <[log in to unmask]>
T*he Honolulu Advertiser *doesn’t exist anymore, but it used to publish a
regular “Health Bureau Statistics” column in its back pages supplied with
information from the Hawaii Department of Health detailing births, deaths,
and other events. The paper, which began in 1856 as the *Pacific Commercial
Advertiser*, since the end of World War II was merged, bought, sold, and
then merged again with its local rival, *The Honolulu Star-Bulletin*, to
become in 2010 *The Honolulu Star Advertiser*. But the *Advertiser* archive
is still preserved on microfilm in the Honolulu State Library. Who could
have guessed, when those reels were made, that the record of a tiny birth
announcement would one day become a matter of national consequence? But
there, on page B-6 of the August 13, 1961, edition of *The Sunday
Advertiser*, set next to classified listings for carpenters and floor
waxers, are two lines of agate type announcing that on August 4, a son had
been born to Mr. and Mrs. Barack H. Obama of 6085 Kalanianaole Highway.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__bit.ly_2F7jD3t&d=DwIFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=bkSI3AgLwZPj3U7G5APzpoVtEQXDdjushX5BSsIVQE8&s=ycWeNB0b4nDQpjgmIdATnVBOgoZwqx2WXrkP6cQQ-2g&e=
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__bit.ly_2F7jD3t-2B&d=DwIFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=bkSI3AgLwZPj3U7G5APzpoVtEQXDdjushX5BSsIVQE8&s=ruHbYSoEDeCY_mzFSZaCprkqQ3hothS2rsNje5yhrCA&e=

--
Peterk
Dallas, Tx