Sender:
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2018 06:30:40 +1000
From:
Andrew Warland <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Fran

We have been managing (including boxes of paper records) records in
SharePoint since 2012 and now in Office 365, all completely OOTB. I blog
about this, here is perhaps the most relevant blog post:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__andrewwarland.wordpress.com_2017_08_28_the-2Drecordkeeping-2Dworld-2Dof-2Doffice-2D365-2Dmore-2Dthan-2Djust-2Dsharepoint_&d=DwIFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=nwcuzxYdpK6Nno1S7nBUqo2l417fHXpYTXTnTttehB4&s=bIO6iiSj-gq3aaSU7chXlWdP7kynLrXUgOThTD9qSrY&e=

I always say that it's important for records managers to get as close to
the core of Office 365 as possible because that is where (now) a lot of the
settings can be found. Retention policies for example are in the Security
and Compliance portal of Office 365 and can be applied to most of O365
content.

You need to think a little differently when managing records in Office 365;
one striking example is that 'files' don't really exist. In SharePoint they
are document libraries or document sets in those libraries (all our 15,000
or so staff files are document sets in a single library). Capturing emails
in a document library isn't really promoted; instead, the O365 retention
(and security) policies apply to all content in SP and Exchange. We also
don't use a great deal of additional metadata (except for staff files).

It's worth looking at what the Office Graph does too in terms of presenting
information via Delve and Discover.

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about how we do this.

Andrew Warland
Sydney, Australia