From:
Don Saklad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:36:57 -0500
What other North American cities' public libraries' Reorganization
Plans would you folks out there know about that I could look into
reading?...

Regarding the reference desk enquiry for information... our Boston
Public Library Reorganization Plan, formats for the materials that
relate to the Reorganization Plan could also include
. emails
. memoranda
. correspondence
. intranet
. data

Reorganization plan materials could be distributed to the
. BPL board,
. board committee or committees
. Mayor
. Mayor's liason
. City Council budget hearings
. consultants
. BPL departments heads, curators
. other city departments or other city departments heads

I use the background information to enhance my navigating of our BPL
collections, navigating the institution, BPL departments, buildings,
floors, BPL people with subject expertise.

I'm a more effective library user by studying background information
about our BPL.

A. What is neede are web pages with background information about our
   BPL added to the BPL website http://bpl.org that answer questions
   such as how does our BPL actually work backstage behind the scenes
   so to speak?... with narrative text and images of those
   departments, organizational units that one does not see
   ordinarily. A backstage behind the scenes tour online while
   comfortable in one's own chair.

   In a way, there's a very limited example at
http://dflbookmarks.blogspot.com/2004_12_01_dflbookmarks_archive.html

B. Boston Public Library needs professional records managers and
   archivists to better manage the collections of institutional
   records for public access, staff access and staff unions'
   advocates' access.

   The institutional materials are part of BPL collections.

   New York Public Library is one model of such a program of proper
   management of our historic institutions' archival records with
   catalog access, bibliographic descriptions.