From:
Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Mar 2005 11:48:19 -0800
It depends upon several factors...; such as:

Administrative value
Fiscal value, if any
Legal value, if any
Regulatory value, if any
Historic value, if any

Another factor to consider is if your organization retains its
retirement benefits data with the personnel files.  If so, then a long
retention is necessary.  If not, then a "4-year after termination"
retention may be sufficient...; you still must research and evaluate all
the above mentioned factors.

Best regards, Steve
Steven D. Whitaker, CRM
Records Systems Manager; City of Reno

>>> [log in to unmask] 03/23/05 11:25AM >>>
Is their a definitive retention period for "Employee records" who have
been
terminated in Ontario or Canada.  I know the "Employment Standards Act,
2000"
states three years.
However the consulting company that prepared our retention schedule in
2002 has
us keeping them for 60 years after termination.
Checking with other School Boards I have seen 2 years, 6 years, 10
years,  and
55 years after termination.

Fred Preston
Records Management Coordinator
Greater Essex County District School Board
451 Park Street  West, P.O Box 210
Windsor, Ontario
N9A 6K1
519-255-3291