From:
Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2005 15:15:00 -0700
I agree with most everything in your posting Dwight.  I am not willing
to spend the time to prepare a white paper (for the listserv) stating
that 98% of all information created in the western world is created
electronically via computers, applications, and data acquistion devices,
and that it is ridiculous to output a substantial amount of that to
paper media, and then try to manage from that paradigm.  Even more
ludicrous (not the rap singer) is to create info electronically, output
to paper (and copy, distribute, file) with all those associated costs
and inefficiencies, and THEN SCAN TO DIGITAL creating a file 10X as
large as the original electronic file!

What is really embarassing is admitting that some in our profession
just love the paper media, apparently hoping that they can avoid change
and hold on long enough to qualify for retirement.

I hate the paper media...

(sigh, Miller time is just a couple of hours away; and it's 5 o'clock
somewhere)

P.S.  Congrats to the NC TarHeels on their college roundball national
championship.
Wish it were Missouri.
J-Hawks...; can you spell Bucknell?

Best regards, Steve
Steven D. Whitaker, CRM
Records Systems Manager; City of Reno

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/05/05 02:28PM >>>
Steve, just another (hopefully) shorter note: I agree with you to a
large extent, however, when we talk about how much we hate paper, our
customers come to the conclusion that eliminating the paper solves the
problem - period. If there is one major cause of electronic records
problems in my neck of the woods, it is the notion that simply
scanning
or eliminating the paper will solve all problems, with no focus
whatsoever on managing the resulting electronic objects as complete,
authentic and reliable records. Eliminating paper is only a side
benefit
of electronic records keeping. The main benefits are improved business
processes. IMHO, the main reason paper still exists is because of the
failure of most electronic systems to function effectively as records
keeping systems. It's no longer an issue of technology in most cases,
it
is an issue of ignorance and lack of resources. This is where the true
backwards thinking is - with decision makers that refuse to grasp the
vital importance of basic records keeping practices.

We are the visionaries - they are the ones stuck in the 50's. I hate
bad
records keeping even more, regardless of media. Address that issue
effectively across technologies, and the paper will begin to go away.

Dwight Wallis, CRM
Records & Distribution Services Manager
Multnomah County Fleet, Records, Electronics, Distribution & Stores
(FREDS)
1620 SE 190th Avenue
Portland OR 97233
phone: (503)988-3741