From:
"Schildmeyer, Greg" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 10:45:40 -0500
As a recent "graduate" of Part 6, I would second what Mary Haider had to say
- contact the mentor coordinator to get additional case studies, and
practice, practice, practice timed writing.  I found that almost all the
case studies from ICRM gave you the format into which to put your answer,
along the lines of:  Problem Statement; Relevent Facts; Analysis and
Recommendations; Conclusion.  What I found most difficult was writing the
answer in the time allowed.  I practiced heavily on outlining the key points
of the answer, and typing for speed.  Getting the words onto the screen
quickly isn't normally a requirement in our daily jobs, but it is for this
exam, so that is what I practiced on.  (Two things I learned:  using the
CTRL key is faster for underlining or bolding than highlighting words and
clicking the icon; an adjustable keyboard tray and a chair with arms that
don't restrict your elbows make typing easier.)

At the actual exam, after reading the three questions, briefly analyzing
what is required for each, and deciding which of the two 40-pointers you
want to answer, you'll be left with about 2 hours for the 60-point question
and 1-1/2 hours for the 40-point question to thoroughly analyze the problem,
outline your response, and write your answer.  I suggest typing the outline
of your whole answer first, so that you know all the parts you need to
write, then go back and begin filling in each part.  This organizes your
effort and gives you a visual clue as to how much you have remaining to
write in the time left.

You're on the right track - find as many case study problems as you can, and
practice focusing your thoughts into the key points and typing for speed.  I
think you'll find that you have the knowledge and experience to respond to
the exam questions, but you'll be glad you practiced the mechanics of it.
Good luck.

Greg Schildmeyer, CRM
Director of Records Management
State of Missouri