From:
Carolyn Trim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2005 11:47:14 -0500
Bill if your email is pointed at me I have no ax to grind. I am just very
realistic.

I only point common sense of business.  Research standards for quality
control, designing disaster recovery plans, protecting company assets
(including business records.  There actions to be taken each time storms are
in the Gulf.  I have both business and friendship affiliations with chemical
plant managers.  There are steps they take -- moving cars with chemicals,
shutting down lines, etc. --especially those with deadly stuff -- moving
records paper and electronic.

I use a foundation from Juran, Deming, Crosby, Kaizen, Total Quality
Management and many other other well proven and time worn principles  for
operations and management design. As to a an ax to grind? No.  But if a
company states they are the best.  Then they should prove it.

right back to the customer.  Every company should have a written records
management plan, disaster management and business resumption plan.  There
should be standards for the records storage facilities that take into
account avoidance of natural disasters -- if possible.  When disasters do
occur, after the initial fire drill has occurred and pulses are back to
normal --everyone should analyze and document lessons learned.  If the
weakness is the storage vender -- make changes.  If the weaknesses is the
records manager -- make changes.  Do what every is necessary to protect the
company and its assets.  That is the most import goal of the Board.

My only questions about IM were:  where were their locations? Why If they
were in the bowl, what did they do to protect the customers' records before
the storm?  Was the protection sufficient?

If not, why not? I'd be ready to explain or pony up money....

As for the customers -- what did they do as part of their disaster plans to
make sure their records were safe before the storm?  Did they make sure they
were above I-12? If not why not? Why not at least vital records?  Or were
all digital and sent to mirrored sites?  So all are okay?

So I have no ax to grind.  My point is to make sure your record/information
and storage standards are up to date, reflect the needs of your company,
protect your assets, you have chosen the right vendor, your vendor is really
operating and protecting your assets as they said they would, and if they
don't fire them--no matter who they are.  Then the Board is not firing you.
The article started with IM so that is who was discussed.  Since they are
the larger vender, it will be curious to see what they tell their customers.

Carolyn
Houston