From:
Maarja Krusten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Nov 2005 15:08:16 -0500
In describing Dr. Riley's article, I said a White House aide described shredding his notes.  If you read what Dr. Riley wrote, two of his colleagues at the White House are the ones who said he shredded his notes.  The aide himself was not the source.  Sorry for the mischaracterization, I thought I'd point that out before someone does it for me.  :-p

 No way to tell what actually happened with the notes.   Retrospective oral history interviews can leave loose ends, a lot of "he said, she said" in them.

Some historians have a stronger perspective on records management and archival issues than others.  I don't know Dr. Riley, don't know what his perspective is.  I have exchanged some comments with some of the other historians connected with the Miller Center but not with Riley.  Hearing an anecdote about an aide destroying notes, I think a records manager probably would have asked some follow up questions in the oral history interview.

Here's a link for the Miller Center
http://millercenter.virginia.edu/

Maarja