From:
"Terry S." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Nov 2005 16:26:56 -0500
Hello, List.

We currently have a situation where a huge project was underway to develop a
major application where many departments were involved (we'll call it
Project 1).  The project died.  Now, there is a new project underway for the
same objective as Project 1 (we'll call this Project 2).  Many of the same
folks are involved in the development; however, no one has any of the
project workpapers that originated from Project 1, in part because several
employees moved on to different assignments or left the company.  There is
now a question about who was responsible for those records.  Our RRS says,
"Life of Project/Usefulness + 1 yr", which would lead me to believe the
records should be here somewhere!!

Do most companies have a formal process for handling the transition of
records upon an employee's termination?  I'm not referring to their
personnel records; I'm referring to the day-to-day records they handled in
the course of performing their job.  I know I've seen discussions about this
before, but my archive searches keep leading me to personnel records.

Is there a "term of art" for such a process?  I will continue to do my
research, but I'm just not sure what to call this.

If there is no formal process, then would you recommend any steps to include
in a process?

Here are some of my thoughts:  Is there an inventory of records taken upon
notice of termination? Is there a review of records at an employee's exit
interview?  Who is responsible for the records post termination?  For a new
project initiative that never comes to life, who becomes the owner of the
project workpapers, the project manager or the process owner?

Thanks for your help.
Terry Schofield