From:
Janie Wait <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janie Wait <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2006 13:02:49 -0600
Bruce,

You are involved with an interesting study! Recently one of my counties used
an unusual source of funding for their one time historical capture of their
permanent records to microfilm.

I don't know if having an optional sales tax is prevalent around the country
but in Wyoming we have the opportunity for voters to authorize an additional
1-cent sales tax for use in our counties for a 2 year period at which time
the voters decide if the money was spent in an appropriate fashion or not to
determine if they are going to re-authorize the additional tax.

These funds can be used for any variety of projects such as building
recreation centers in small towns, funding the summer pool lifeguards or any
other worthy cause that the "committee" deems appropriate. They are very
reluctant to start funding something that requires continuous annual support
but rather concentrate on one-time investments.

One of my County Clerks decided to approach her 1 cent committee to see if
they would be willing to fund the back log project of microfilming their
land records from 1968 to current for submission to archives as their
disaster recovery back up. They got that funding and didn't have to go
through their county commissioners to get an exception or line item budget
for the project. Due to the scope the update it was spread over the 2 years
of the authorized tax period.

Although this technically not a "grant", I thought it was a terrific way to
meet their disaster recovery and homeland security obligations. It just goes
to show that there are ways and means of getting funding for RIM projects if
we are just willing to step outside of the box!

I will be interested to read your article if you would be sure to let us
know when and where it gets published.

Janie Wait

Janie Wait, CRM, MBA
President