From:
"Colgan, Julie J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2006 09:06:54 -0500
Greg wrote: <Maybe you can use ECS/BCS instead of Taxonomy/BCS if you
need to implement multiple BCSs. >

I agree. I think this discussion is more about semantics than anything
else now.  However I want to point out that you actually helped to make
my case a bit.

Greg wrote: <1.  The BSC which is developed as a standard to be used
across the organisation is called the Enterprise Classification Scheme
(ECS).

2. When a business unit is implementing their federated instance of the
EDRMS, they take the ECS and determine what Level 1 and Level 2 terms
are appropriate to their business.  This is then called their BCS.>

As you point out the BCS, at the organization level, is actually called
the ECS.  And a department will take from the ECS to create their
department-level BCS.  And I am just assuming that *most* organizations
- save the smallest and most specialized - would require multiple
department-specific classification schemes, hopefully derived from an
organization-level standard (you say ECS, I say taxonomy ... tomato,
tomahto).

I'm not sure where the concern is regarding being in the 21st century
and using an EDRMS, or not, applies here.  Using a taxonomy does not
necessarily relegate the organization to only classifying paper, or not
being able to manage electronic records (either in or out of their
original format).  Taxonomy development is most often done outside of
any specific technology, and I would argue that's the way it should be.
Classification schemes should be based on information needs, not
technological functionality/constraints.

Long story short, we're saying the same thing.  Classification is a good
idea.  Classification should be approached from the enterprise level
first then paired down/adjusted, when necessary, to meet
department-level needs.

Whether you call your classification scheme a taxonomy, ECS, BCS, etc.
is of less consequence.  Terminology used should match the organization
you're working with - if the term "taxonomy" confuses them, don't use
that term - find something they are comfortable with.  If I were to have
a conversation with my IT Director and I started throwing around the
ECS/BCS terminology, he'd probably look at me like a deer in headlights.
But when I say Taxonomy, we both understand what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the banter - it's a good exercise!

Julie