From:
Chris Browne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2007 13:46:47 -0600
http://www.idahostatesman.com/newsupdates/story/133285.html

>> Sgt. 1st Class Travis Dryden of Boise was frustrated by the news. He
planned to notify credit reporting agencies and take other steps to
prevent any damage to his finances.
"It's a matter of how we fail to safeguard our technology assets,"
Dryden said. "Just a little shocking that that kind of stuff would not
be kept under closer, or more immediate, control."
The National Guard does not have a policy prohibiting soldiers from
taking computer storage devices away from offices, Dowling said.
"People need to do that as part of their job," she said. "Army-wide
we're in the process of encrypting all of our devices. But this wasn't
encrypted." <<
My guess is that managers within all of our organizations might find it
similarly 'shocking' how individuals are mishandling information.
Another illustration of how important it is to have executive-level
buy-in on the programs and policies of RIM. If the executives are not
selling it, the rank-and-file won't be buying it.
Anyway, I'm very hopeful that it won't take a similar unfortunate event
within my organization to enforce the importance of having policies in
place to secure data on notebooks and portable media, and even more
importantly that individuals follow those policies to the letter of the
law, no matter how inconvenient it may be for the individual user at any
given time.
Just fiddling from my rooftop while Idaho burns.
Chris Browne
Boise, Idaho