From:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2007 09:19:17 -0700
I haven't see very many "show specials" over almost 20 years of these
conferences. That doesn't mean that you won't come across one.
Typically, where I have seen "show specials" are on "shrink-wrapped"
products, rather than custom installations. More typically, you'll find
the "show specials" on hard goods (I've seen carts and shred bins in
the past couple years), rather than software, because there really
isn't a whole lot of software in our industry that you can just buy off
the shelf and install (that's the "shrink-wrapped" stuff).

As Larry notes, the value of the Expo is that you can "try before you
buy" and talk to the experts. If you don't have to buy something today,
why not wait a month and see what is available?

Another factor to consider is that some vendors will use the ARMA Expo
as an opportunity to announce new products or feature sets. So waiting
a month will hopefully get you the latest and greatest product out
there.

++++++++++++++++++++++

On a related topic, I heard from ARMA HQ and they are working on
freeing up some additional rooms. There were some rooms available at
the Sheraton City Center last Thursday and they were expecting to have
some rooms available today at the Hyatt and Renaissance. I may have
additional information later on today. As soon as I get additional
information, I will post it to the List.

It's always a good thing when we have to start going back to the hotels
for additional rooms. That means that people are booking above our
minimum budget threshold and we should see our budgeted numbers play
out. The bad news is that it is inconvenient and somewhat
nerve-wracking for folks who want to know that they have a room. The
best advice is to keep trying back once you hear "sold out" --
particularly this far out from Conference. Generally, it takes a day or
two to get the next block of rooms set up and available. Once we're a
couple weeks away from Conference, that's when things do get tight. At
this point, ARMA staff look at these things constantly and have
conversations with the hotels each day. Once the primary hotels are
completely booked, they will then look at opening up additional hotels
if the demand warrants. They are already having conversations with
additional hotels to see what is available.

Each Conference is a little bit different than the previous ones. We
forecast conservatively in our contracts in order to ensure that we are
not stuck with a bucnh of unsold (and guaranteed) rooms. There is
generally opportunity for the primary hotels to get us additional rooms
and then we go to additional hotels in the same area.

I'm looking forward to Conference and hoping to see most of you there.

Patrick Cunningham, CRM