From:
Susan Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2007 15:52:11 -0500
This is one of those cases where a synonym is NOT an equivalent.  To IT they may seem the same BUT back-up is not the same as retention.

Back-ups are usually fall back measures maintained in case there's a glitch and data needs to be recovered.  Retention has to do with maintaining documents or objects but there are other steps involved.  Docs or objects must be declared as records.  Not everything collected on a backup is a record though a back-up may contain some records.

Retention schedules determine disposition of records.  Non-record document disposition is pretty much up to whoever is using the document.  Record disposition schedules must be decided on by users and administration.  In the case of federal government records they must also be approved by NARA. In other words a retention schedule is a kind of agreement while a backup schedule is a schedule.

Susan Fitch Brown
BNF Technologies