From:
"McAdam, Pilar C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2007 16:02:19 -0800

Michael El Sarcero wrote:

"I am looking to find which is the best way getting a strong criteria
for storing records onsite or off-site.
My questions is: What criteria having a good onsite storage of records?
Is there criteria?"

I'd say that the #1 and #2 criteria for storing records on-site are
having the space available and having no more cost-effective uses for
that space.  If you have a warehouse that no one is getting rid of, and
you're occupying only 1/3 of it and already paying the utilities for the
whole facility, then using the space to store records may be a good way
to use the space.

What most companies are facing, though, is smaller and smaller offices
and "footprints", while needing to have continued access to the
information.  That's when cost/risk issues come into play.

Pilar C. McAdam, CRM
Records and Information Management
Shared Services Group
The Boeing Company