From:
Stephanie Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2008 09:49:31 -0600
Sandra,
It took me to educate my authority about records before I was able to do
it. I had to speak their language in order for them to understand where
I was coming from. For example, one asst. commissioner I addressed
handled personnel issues all the time. So I used that to help me explain
records. For example, I asked her if she would hire someone if she did
not know the background experience, knowledge and so forth. Of course
her answer was no. So then how can I tell you what records the
organization creates, keeps and what the value of those records are if I
don't know the "background"?

So I do I get background information on records? It is done through a
record inventory. Then I explained what a records inventory is and how
exactly it is taken. Be sure to tell them this is the most accurate way
to have a complete records retention schedule.

I came up with a proposal with phases to the project. Then be sure to
report on all progress made. If possible, for really badly kept filing
cabinets or areas, take pictures. Pictures speak volumes.

Good luck!
Stephanie Jones
Coordinator for Records Management
Support Services Department
Administrative Services Division
Texas Department of Agriculture
512-305-9193 Voice
800-509-1201 Fax

"The Records Management Section assists and guides TDA staff to ensure
preservation of Texas agriculture historical records and to maintain
compliance with records management laws by implementing a cost effective
records management program."