From:
Daniela Serban <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2008 03:19:18 +0000

Greetings to all,

I am posting this message on behalf of my manager Jim Mees. We are working in the Document Management Group for an EPC company in Toronto area.

I am seeking information on best practices for archiving engineering documentation. Specifically, I am interested in best practices of engineering documentation produced by another company but reviewed and approved by my company. Our company instructions state that we must retain a hard copy with signatures for archiving purposes however the process for these company submitting these documents, along with our review of the documents, is completely electronic and this seems like a waste of time and money.  Our records management department believes that DVDs are not a reliable media format to store these documents long term and therefore offsite storage of paper copies is the most viable option.

I would like to know what other engineering firms are doing regarding archiving of their documentation and what is the best practices for archiving of electronic media.

Many thanks in advanced for your assistance!

Warm regards,

Daniela Serban