From:
Stephen Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2008 15:09:36 -0400
Linda--

Be sure to factor in the cost per square foot to rent the space too. In
other words, what will it cost, soup to nuts, to store records onsite.
Using annual dollar amounts makes a bigger impression than monthly. A few
years ago, I did a space calculation for a midtown firm that had an
abundance of lateral cabinets along almost every wall. (I believe laterals
use their space better than the pull-out drawers. And 4 drawers are more
cost effective than 3 drawers.) It was something like 25% of floor space,
with an annual cost of $2.5 million. That's a load of dough to store
paper, especially when half or more of the cabinets were not being used
effectively. I calculated the footprint (including the space needed to
open the drawers) of a cabinet then multiply out by the number of
cabinets. If it's not out of line, consider including a comparison with
high-density mobile shelving, too.

Stephen Cohen
Records Manager
MetLife \ Legal Affairs
27-01 Queens Plaza North
Long Island City NY 11101
212-578-2373

"Mosier, Linda" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: "Records Management Program" <[log in to unmask]>
03/11/2008 02:49 PM
Please respond to
"Records Management Program" <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Statistics - 3 or 4 drawer file cabinets vs. lateral filing

Does anyone have or know where I can locate the comparison statistics?
I need to prepare a presentation for a centralized file room in one of
our locations.  It may be easier to sell if I can show how much the
space is being under-utilized.  I appreciate any assistance, thanks,
linda.

  Linda Mosier, CRM
   Records & Conflicts Manager

   Robinson & Cole LLP
   280 Trumbull Street
   Hartford, CT  06103-3597
   Direct (860) 541-2740 | Fax (860) 275-8299
   [log in to unmask] | www.rc.com <http://www.rc.com/>
   Contact Card <http://www.rc.com/documents/peopleVcard/LM.vcf>

The information contained in this message may be CONFIDENTIAL and is for the intended addressee only.  Any unauthorized use, dissemination of the information, or copying of this message is prohibited.  If you are not the intended addressee, please notify the sender immediately and delete this message.