From:
Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2008 12:22:42 -0700
A computer or server ending up in a landfill is not analogous to using
paper records as a work paradigm, and what may wind up as part of our
"carbon footprint."  'Electronic information' will never wind up in a
landfill; although there is some electricity used in manufacturing the
hardware, and in accessing the information.  Many old PCs and servers
are sold and recycled for various components and scavenging precious
metals, as are some paper records recycled for pulp.   It is a better
analogy to an old-fashioned file cabinet, which can be used over and
over and may not hit a landfill, at least until the organization moves
on to better technology and processing.

Waxing poetic or preaching from the stump ... ; or just bored of my
current task?   Whatever; it is good to talk of these subjects in regard
to our profession and being efficient with our resources.

Best regards, Steve
Steven D. Whitaker, CRM
Records Systems Manager; City of Reno

Steve Whitaker wrote:
>Reduce your carbon
footprint; create and retain your records electronic.

Steve, I actually agree with your position on having paper-less life
cycle management as a goal, primarily for business process reasons.

<snip>