From:
Cheri Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2008 11:49:40 -0500
Our active documents are linked to what makes them active.  For instance
Customer Order docs are linked to the order, so when the order is complete
there is a status and complete date that can be checked programmatically
to "start the clock".  Likewise documents linked to products are active
for the life of the product.  Again, we can programmatically check the
product status and inactive date to "start the clock".

Without linkage to a master table that dictates the life of a document,
you will need a "start the clock" date (last activity).  And a way to
group documents and set this date.
Another option is to set the retention period high enough to cover the
active portion of the document.  Say if the retention is Active + 5 and
the documents are usually active for 1 year, set the retention at 6 years.
 (I know only a few document types fall cleanly into this category).

Record Repository systems need to come up with a way to programmatically
do this.  Users do not have the time to manually mark thousands or
millions of active records once they go inactive.

Cheri Adams
Teledyne Isco, Inc.
Finance Administrative Coordinator/Records Manager
Telephone: 402-465-2084
Fax: 402-464-4543
Email: [log in to unmask]

"Vednere, Ganesh" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Records Management Program <[log in to unmask]>
03/27/2008 11:09 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
[RM] How to handle "ACT" retention periods

We have a centralized records repository to manage and retain electronic
records. These records are ingested from a variety of sources and
categorized into the appropriate file plan structure. Some of these
records have a retention period that is "ACT+" (e.g. ACT+6).  In order for
us to start the retention clock, we need to tell the records repository
that the record has completed its active life and hence start the clock.

The issue is that the business processes are not connected to the records
repository and so the user has to manually check a "flag" in order to tell
the records repository that a record is no longer active and so start the
clock.  Given that we have hundreds of thousands of records, it will
become somewhat cumbersome for the user to manually check a flag on a
periodic basis.

My question to the group is how are other companies handling these
situations ?

Thanks
Ganesh Vednere
Consulting Manager (Records Management),
Capgemini, New York

This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential
and is the property of the Capgemini Group. It is intended only for the
person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you
are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate,  distribute,
or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this  message in
error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all  copies of this
message.

present, place UNSUBSCRIBE RECMGMT-L or UNSUB RECMGMT-L in the body of the
message.